If I were to pick one type of cuisine that is my all time favorite- I think It would have to be Lebanese. I absolutely love all the crunchy vegetables and fresh herbs that go into each salad. When it comes to protein dishes- the spices are unique, and the flavour profiles full of depth.
The only downside is that all that deliciousness comes at a cost. Preparation of Lebanese meals is labor intensive and time consuming! BUT, after what feels like a LOT of trial and error I think I stumbled upon the right combination of ingredients to make Fattoush salad as delicious as possible, as easy as possible! Ha ha!
A few tips to achieve the best results:
- Save your Lebanese cuisine for days when you are not in a rush
- Aim to give your dishes some time (aka a few hours) to “marinade” so that the flavors meld
- Use fresh herbs if possible
- You will also need to source “Sumac” – it is crucial for this recipe but a little tricky to find. Check Middle Eastern Grocery stores or Williams Sonoma online!
Now for the recipe!
- 1 Cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and thinly-sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely-chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely-chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (leaves only, no stems)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Sumac
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, thinly-sliced
- 2 Pitas, roughly chopped and lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Sumac
- black pepper to taste
- Prepare your herbs and veggies- this is the time consuming part!
- In a large bowl, mix the radish, pepper, onion, mint and parsley together
- Add a dash of salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp of Sumac, then let mixture sit for a few hours if possible so that the flavours can meld.
- Mix the dressing, and set aside
- Right before eating, lightly toast the pita bread
- Add the lettuce and cucumber to the salad bowl
- Top with dressing, garnish with pita chips and ENJOY!