Guiltless Kale Caesar Salad
Not going to lie. I freaking LOVE Caesar salad. But what I don’t love.. is the feeling of remorse afterward! I mean, who can forget that article a few years back that likened the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of a Caesar Salad to that of a Big Mac. If I’m going to indulge, I’d rather have the Big Mac…amiright?
Enter the Kale Caesar. Kale instead of iceberg lettuce definitely ups the vitamin factor. SCORE. But what about the less-than- healthy but oh-so- delicious dressing? I’ve been on a mission the past month to find something that packs the delicious flavor punch of real Caesar dressing but is actually GOOD for you. Think it can’t be done? Think again! This dressing is Vegan, Gluten Free and loaded with protein. You can even serve it to your kids and spouse and they WON’T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE! Can you say game changer?!
- 1/4 cup (60 g) plain hummus ( I used Western Family store bought)
- 1 tsp spicy mustard ( I used WF Pale Ale + Honey Spice)
- lemon zest ( I used from the full lemon, less spicy use 1/2 lemon)
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tsp capers, finely minced/smashed, plus 2 tsp brining juice
- 3 Tbsp fresh minced garlic (4-5 cloves)
- Healthy pinch each Himalayan salt (or table salt) and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (for added creaminess)
- 2 tsp. Parmesan or Vegan Parmesan
- In a small mixing bowl, combine hummus, mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice, minced capers, caper brining juice, and minced garlic. Whisk thoroughly. For added creaminess, pour in optional Olive oil at this point.
- Add a little hot water until desired consistency achieved, and whisk until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt and pepper, lemon juice, or minced garlic if desired!
- Too salty and briney for you? Add a tsp of honey or agave, (I did not).
- Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator up to 5-7 days.
- Toss with kale and top with fresh parmesan or vegan parmesan.
- You can also pair with romaine, arugula or roasted vegetables, such as blanched asparagus, Brussel sprouts or baby potatoes.
[…] in the past ” this dressing will change your life” (especially with our beet salad , kale caesar or our panzanella) and its not that we lied about those others.. its just that this particular […]