With the long weekend looming, I am organizing away as we prepare for a little mountain vacation! Since I’m in prep mode- I figured I’d share some of my road trip tips with you.. specifically related to FOOD! As the mother of a constantly growing, constantly HUNGRY toddler boy, I have learned to always have a vehicle stocked with healthy snacks at all times. Seriously, I think my son eats DOUBLE the food I consume in day! Our drive to the mountains is a little longer than most, it takes us eight or nine hours to get to our favorite ski spot in Idaho, so we really try to keep the stopping to a minimum! Enter my epic bag of healthy snacks!
Here’s what makes the cut:
- Fresh Berries (Raspberries and Black Berries are our faves- but not always available)
- Grannie Smith Apples
- Mandarin Oranges
- Mini cucumbers
- Organic Carrot sticks ( I prefer to cut my own, even though it is time consuming.. the pre cut are soaked in preservatives)
- Fresh Pea Pods
- Boom Chicka Pop Popcorn (simple ingredients, no unnatural preservatives)
- Protein Power Balls (Recipe here!)
- Homemade Trail Mix (Recipe here!)
- Organic Pretzels
- Apple Chips
- Gold Fish crackers (I know these aren’t the healthiest… but I have a toddler.. I pick my battles!)
- Squeeze pouches (see previous comment!)
- Rice Crackers or Nut Thins
- Coconut Water (hydrate before you dehydrate! )
- Green Juice to go (Recipe here!)
My husband always makes fun of me, and says he would rather go through Peters Drive- in… but secretly I think he likes that I always have a bunch of healthy options on hand!
What are your go- to healthy travel snacks?
Hope everyone has a safe and happy Family Day Long weekend!