Whether this is your first time or your seventy- fifth time hosting a Holiday meal, I can be super overwhelming! How long do you cook a turkey? What are some delicious (but healthy) side dishes that every guest will want to eat? What about Gluten Free or Vegan Guests? Don’t worry friends, we’ve got you! We promise this post is one hundred percent casserole free! Ha, Ha. AND- did you know you can pin every one of our recipes right from each post? Just click one of the pictures and you can save that recipe for later!
First, lets start with the Turkey!
How Big should your Bird it be?
Here’s the basic rule we go by- roughly one pound of turkey per person. If you want leftovers (to make our amazing Turkey Stew) ― or have big eaters coming to your house, plan for 1.5- 2 lbs per person.
How long does the Turkey need to Defrost?
Weight In Fridge In Cold Water
|4 to 12 pounds||1 to 3 days||2 to 6 hours|
|12 to 16 pounds||3 to 4 days||6 to 8 hours|
|16 to 20 pounds||4 to 5 days||8 to 10 hours|
|20 to 24 pounds||5 to 6 days||10 to 12 hours|
How Long Does the Turkey need to cook?
In 325°F oven, a fully defrosted or fresh bird will need to cook roughly 15 minutes per pound. You can check if it is done by using a thermometer to gauge if the internal temperature has reached 165 F. Check in the innermost part of the thigh, wing and the thickest part of the breast.
Richelle’s Other Turkey Tips:
- Skip the stuffing inside (no one eats it!). Instead, cook your stuffing on the stove with this epic recipe!
- Stuff instead with Fresh herbs like Rosemary and Thyme.
- Stuff with Fruit as well (Pears in the fall, Lemons in the spring!)
- Roast your turkey upside down. This wont make for the most stunning looking bird, but when you cook upside down all the juices will run to the breast meat, making it the MOST delicious and flavourful ever. TRUST.
- Let it rest! Let your bird sit and rest for 30 mins prior to carving.
Now For the Sides- Whether you are hosting or needing a dish to bring somewhere these are guaranteed crowd pleasers! There is no butter or gluten in any of the following, so they are great options if there are dairy-free or gluten free folks in the mix!
- Once you’ve tried these Carrots, you will never be able to eat a normal carrot again!
- Not your Grannies Brussels! These bad boys are anything but overcooked and soggy! Did we mention they have BACON in them!! Recipe here!
- If you haven’t had our Apple + Pear Stuffing yet- it is a MUST try! (does contain gluten and dairy)
We Also love switching it up from traditional sides by adding a salad or two! Some of our Faves include:
- Our Un-BEET-able Salad
- Best Ever Quinoa Salad
- Italian Chop Salad
- Mojito Watermelon Salad
- Savory Brussels Sprout Salad
- Orzo Asparagus Salad
- Guiltless Kale Caesar Salad
Of course, no meal is complete without dessert, and you best believe we have you covered there too! Our Mini Egg Blondies are a huge hit at Easter, and our Apple Crisp is a thing of beauty at Thanksgiving!
Wishing you and yours a lovely Holiday! Hope these tips + recipes were helpful! Be sure to send us note or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram!