Italian Wedding soup has been my husbands favorite for years! Recently, I decided to switch it up by using Turkey to make the meatballs and *WOW* total game changer! This soup is on a steady repeat in our home!
I always try to sneak in extra veggies for more fibre and nutrients any time I can, so I added Kale and a more generous helping of fresh spinach and basil to this recipe. If you have kids or picky eaters in your household, hiding vegetables in soup is a great trick I’ve been utilizing for years! Ha, Ha.
Here’s What you Need:
For Meat Balls:
- 1 package ground Turkey or turkey sausage (375g package)
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, pressed
- Salt and Pepper to taste (approx 1tsp each)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 3-4 medium Carrots, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprig Rosemary
- 1 cup small pasta ( Acini de Pepe or Orzo!)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Once thoroughly combined, form mixture into small meat balls (size of a toonie)
- Add 1 Tbsp Olive Oil to a medium saucepan, over medium heat.
- Once oil is heated, add in meat balls (approx 10 at a time)
- Sauté meatballs until golden, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Next, In a large stock pot, over medium heat, 1 Tbsp Olive oil, onions, garlic, carrots and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add in meatballs and White wine and let soak into meat/ vegetables for a few minutes
- Reduce heat to low, add in chicken stock, Rosemary, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Let simmer 20 mins (or longer if you want! The flavours improve with more time!)
- 5 minute prior to serving, add in your pasta.
- Once pasta is al dente spoon into bowls and top with generous amount of Kale + Spinach.
- Garnish with basil + Parmesan cheese