Its no secret that the Sisters LOVE pizza. If were not visiting our friends at LOVEPIZZA, were making it at home. Now, we’re not chefs, and we’re not even Italian….but we KNOW pizza. Trust us, this crust is the best.
This super simple and quick dough can be made two ways, either with your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, or simply with mixing bowl and trusty old wooden spoon. I’ve made it both ways and truly don’t find one way easier than the other, and the end result is the same.
- 1 Cup warm water
- 1 Tsp white sugar
- 1 Tsp instant Yeast
- 2 Cups flour , plus more for kneading and rolling (white or whole wheat flour may be used)
- 1 Tsp Salt
Yield: 2 , thin crust pizzas
- In a small bowl combine sugar and warm water. Sprinkle yeast evenly on top, and allow to sit for 5 minutes or until foamy on top.
2. If using mixer with dough hook attachment, combine flour and salt in mixer bowl, make a small, shallow well in center of flour mixture and add yeast mixture. Mix at medium until the dough forms into a ball.
3. If using a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt in medium/large mixing bowl. Make a large and deep well in the center of the flour, and slowly add yeast mixture.
4. Working from the outside in, slowly combine the flour and mixture and yeast mixture. Stir to combine.(Note, you may eventually have to abandon the spoon and start mixing with your hands!)
5. Remove dough ball from the bowl and knead on lightly floured surface for a few minutes. Dough should be soft and moist but should come away clean from your hands.
6. Place dough into lightly oiled bowl and cover with clean dishtowel. Allow to sit at room temperature for 3o minutes to rise. Cut dough ball in half and use immediately or refrigerate. If you refrigerate your dough, allow it to rest at room temperature for a few minutes before kneading and rolling out .
7. Dough can be refrigerated up to 48hrs, or placed in airtight bag and frozen.
8. If you are cooking your pizza on a preheated pizza stone, evenly and generously sprinkle cornmeal onto pizza peel/paddle. Place rolled dough onto paddle and add desired toppings, then transfer to preheated stone and cook according to recipe
9. If you are cooking your pizza on a baking sheet, place rolled pizza dough onto cooking sheet, add desired toppings and bake according to recipe.
Please note, as UNREAL as this recipe is, I have not had much (ok, any) success with doubling it. If you require more than 2 pizzas, I strongly suggest doing it in two batches.
Now, even the best of crusts requires toppings….
Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
This is a favorite at our house and has become a weekly staple. You read that correctly… I did in fact say weekly. Its super simple, with minimal ingredients (some of which you probably already have!!), but loaded with flavor.
- 2 cups Arugula
- Juice of one small wedge of lemon (about 1/8 to 1/4 of a lemon)
- Approximately 2 tbs olive oil
- Dried oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- 125g prosciutto
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit. With rolled pizza dough either on pizza stone or baking sheet,
bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Drizzle olive oil and brush to evenly, and lightly coat pizza dough. Sprinkle pepper, salt, garlic powder and dried oregano.
- Evenly place prosciutto to cover dough.
- Top with mozzarella (and Parmesan or pecorino if desired! )
- Bake for an additional 6 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly golden in cover.
- Meanwhile, combine arugula, 1tbs oil, lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste (optional).
- Once pizza has been removed from the oven, top with arugula mixture and serve immediately
Note: We use our Breville Perfect Crust counter top pizza oven to make all of our pizzas, and the method is a tad different; a lot easier and quicker to be honest. I know what you’re thinking “I do not need another small appliance”… but seriously this thing is amazing and a must have for any pizza lover!!
Did you make this recipe?! Let us know by e-mailing us at email@example.com or show off on Instagram by tagging us @rivercitysisters, or using the hashtag #rivercitysisters