“The way to a nurses heart is through her stomach” – Every Nurse, Everywhere
When these squares made an appearance in the nurses lounge at work, I was in LITERAL heaven. Chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers: all the goodness of a s’more, in the convenience of a square. Don’t get me wrong, I am ALL about flavour, but I am also a sucker for “smart” food. I absolutely LOVE traditional s’mores, and truly, there is nothing better around the campfire at night (except maybe an adult beverage…. but I can’t indulge just yet….), but these squares have all of the same flavours without any of the fuss, and are therefore PERFECT for a backyard/Canada Day BBQ, to make ahead and bring on a camping weekend, or to satisfy your kiddies s’more craving without all of the mess. In addition to being extremely convenient, and BBQ/campfire appropriate, this recipe is perfect for when you don’t turn on your oven for fear of overheating your house. Seriously, GIVE ME ALL THE STOVE TOP RECIPES! They’re also very easy and quick to make! Naturally, I begged my co-worker for this recipe, a) for myself, and b) to share with you, and she happily passed it along (Thanks Julie!). I tweaked it a justttt a bit by adding 1.5 cups more marshmallows (I can’t NOT do this with any marshmallow recipes), and doubled the vanilla (Also guilty of doing this with most recipes), to suit my pregnant needs.
- 8 Cups Golden Graham Cereal
- 400G mini Marhsmallows (about 8 cups)
- 1 1/2 (Generous) cups of Chocolate Chips (I used semi-sweet, but original calls for Milk Chocolate, use what you prefer!)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tbs Water
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbs Margarine or Butter
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ pan, and mixing utensils (for ease of mixing and spreading) with margarine.
- Measure cereal and pour into large mixing bowl
- Reserve 2 cups of marshmallows. Combine remaining 6 cups of marshmallows, chocolate chips, margarine, sugar, vanilla, and water in sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until chocolate chips and marshmallows are melted and all ingredients are combined. * It is more important to have 6 cups of marshmallows in melted mixture, so if you have to steal from reserved 2 cups to make 6 cups for melted, please do!*
- Pour chocolate chips/marshmallow mixture over cereal and stir to combine.
- Once Golden Grahams are completely coated, add remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and stir to combine.
- Press into greased pan, cover with saran wrap and allow to cool for approximately 1 hour.
- Cut into squares and indulge!
- Print multiple copies and bring to your Canada Day BBQ because I guarantee you will get asked for this recipe.
Happy Canada Day!! We hope you have a wonderful and safe long weekend celebrating this GREAT country we are so blessed to live in!
Did you enjoy these S’more Squares?! Let us know by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or show off on Instagram by tagging us @rivercitysisters, or using the hashtag #rivercitysisters
Leave a Comment