If you follow us on Instagram, you’ve likely seen our instastories on the HUGE apple harvest in MacKenzies backyard this fall. We’ve had SO many apples to use up we really had to get creative with recipes to make use of all that fresh deliciousness! One of our favorites, and, arguably, one of the easiest has got to be this Gluten- Free, Guilt- Free Healthy Apple Crisp. It tastes like a million bucks and is the ideal desert if you are looking for a little something sweet but don’t want the regret afterwards! This is even Husband approved- both of ours have been devouring it with no clue that its actually good for them! Haha. We also love this Apple Crisp as an alternative to the traditional Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving as there are a few people in our family who are not Pumpkin lovers!
- 5 Large Granny Smith Apples ( 8- 10 small backyard apples depending on size)
- 3 Tbsp Splenda blend Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Oats, old-fashioned
- 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon, divided
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted Almonds, crushed
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil or butter
- 3 tbsp. almond or cashew milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash apples and peel apples if you wish ( I kept the skin on) slice thinly into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with cinnamon.
- Grease a 9×9 Baking pan and layer apples along the bottom.
- In the same (now empty) bowl, add oats, almond flour, nuts, cinnamon, salt, coconut oil or butter, and brown sugar.
- Add the almond/cashew milk to help bind the crumble topping together and press into baking dish on top of apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40minutes until apples are soft, covering pan loosely with aluminum foil halfway through to prevent from over-browning.
- Serve hot with vanilla frozen yogurt or Ice cream.